Illness can be diagnosed by identifying whether there is a deficiency, sinking, stagnating or rebellious chi. [Rebellious-chi is any chi that is flowing in the wrong direction]. These are called “Identification of Patterns of Illness”. Chi is an unseen energy, yet it is present in everything. The body contains chi, fluids and flesh, which represent air, sea and land. Their presence, in Chinese philosophical thinking proves that the human body is a micro-universe.
To the Chinese the human body represents the entire universe. This is the reason why they emphasise a need that to live, people need both a balanced and an integrated lifestyle. To the Chinese health and wisdom go hand and hand.
This course aims to teach you how to use Oriental diagnosis for assessing the nature of your client’s condition. You will be taught to identify disease patterns and then how to look at disease diagnosis.
* The Chinese system of medicine has evolved over thousands of years. Their belief is in a holistic approach that treats the whole body and not just the illness. They also believed that there should be no division made between treating the mind and the body.
Identification of patterns according to the eight principles
* Pattern identification and administration of treatment are the main distinctive features of Chinese medicine diagnosis and treatment. ‘Pattern identification’ is the phrase used to include both the gathering of all the symptoms, the examinations used and the application of the patterns that will decide the actual treatment required.
Chi, blood and body fluids identification of patterns
* These patterns describe the interplay between chi, blood and body fluids, and what happens if one or some become stagnant in excess, or are deficient.
Six channel pattern identification of patterns
* The six channels are the principles of pattern identification discussed in the Shang Han Lun. The Shang Han Lun is a monograph that discusses many types of externally contracted diseases. The six-channel pattern identification is a method for the pattern identification of externally contracted diseases.
The four examinations – Asking - Part I
* Asking questions is a very important part of any session involving diagnosis. The most important thing to a patient is to talk about what made them go to see a practitioner in the first place.
The four examinations – Asking - Part II
Diagnosis - Feeling or palpation and pulse diagnosis - Part I
* A practitioner uses feeling or touch as a diagnostic tool to check for any sweat or dryness, to detect any external or internal disharmonies, organ malfunctioning and/or to judge the functions of a meridian. Pulse taking is an important part of Chinese medical theory, and it is taught throughout China
Diagnosis by feeling: Part II - Pulse diagnosis continued
* Pulse diagnosis is one of the most important tools a practitioner has to diagnose what is wrong with their client. The aim is always to bring the meridians, yin and yang, essence and chi back to balance. To do this the practitioner must identify the disharmony and correct it.
Diagnosis by feeling: Part III - Pulse diagnosis continued
Diagnosis by looking
* This lesson is about looking at the body of the patient for clues of disease. No practitioner would ever look at only the part of the body with the complaint, as always they look at the whole person.
* Through the use of tongue diagnosis a practitioner can see the extent and quality of the exterior flow of energy in the yin organs, and the interior flow of energy in the yang organs.
On completion of your course, you will receive two certificates:
Certificate 1 is issued by Stonebridge Associated Colleges: Oriental Health Diagnosis Diploma
Oriental Health Diagnosis Diploma issued by Stonebridge Associated Colleges, to view a sample of the college’s award, please click here.
Certificate 2 is issued by ABC Awards: Level 4 Oriental Health Diagnosis Certificate of Achievement
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement by ABC Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details of all the units you have completed as part of your course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards’ Quality Licence Scheme. This means that Stonebridge Associated Colleges have undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet certain quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future. The unit summary can be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 4 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of difficulty involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by Stonebridge Associated Colleges to meet specific learners’ or employers’ requirements. ABC Awards’ endorsement involves a robust and rigorous quality audit by external inspectors to ensure quality is consistently met. A regular review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
Who are ABC
ABC Awards is a leading national Awarding Organisation, regulated by Ofqual, and the Welsh Government. They have a comprehensive portfolio of over 650 Ofqual regulated qualifications on the national Qualifications and Credit framework (QCF). It has a long-established reputation for developing and awarding high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. As a registered charity, ABC Awards combines 180 years of examination and assessment expertise but also implements a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards also offers over 600 Ofqual regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
With this course you will have unlimited access to your own personal tutor who specialises in their field of study. It is your personal tutor's role to ensure that you receive constructive feedback and to deal with any queries you may have. You are more than welcome to telephone, fax or email your personal tutor.
You will also have access to a dedicated and friendly team of administrators and course advisors who offer sound and professional guidance and advice when you need it. This ensures that you will never feel neglected and that you will always succeed!
Requirements for Entry
There is no experience or previous qualifications required for enrolment on this course. It is available to all students, of all academic backgrounds.
This is only an approximate figure and is dependant upon how much time you can dedicate to your studies and how well you grasp the learning concepts in the course material. Furthermore, at the end of each lesson there is a question paper that needs to be completed and returned to your tutor. You should allow at least 1 - 2 hours of study to complete each question paper.
The approximate amount of time required to complete the course is: 108 hrs.
After each lesson there will be a question paper, which needs to be completed and submitted to your personal tutor for marking. This method of continual assessment ensures that your personal tutor can consistently monitor your progress and provide you with assistance throughout the duration of the course.
* All study materials
* Study Guide
* Full Tutor and Admin support
* The course fee includes the awarding body registration and certification fee (valued at up to £30.00).